Thursday, December 27, 2012

Top 10 Posts

photo source: Shutterstock
There are many Top 10 lists at the end of the year. Since I've been running low on blog ideas and short on time with the holidays, I thought I'd do my Top 10 blog posts.

What started as a quick project has sent me down memory lane, since most posts are triggered by an event (or series of events) that make me want to write about the topic. I'm adding a bonus #11 because it is one of my favorites and I am feeling nostalgic.

11. Potty Training is one of my most personal blogs, describing my own potty training parent moments. Sorry kids!

10. Walk In Clinic Etiquette was written in part because of my frustration of the many options of urgent cares, some with good treatment, others with less than ideal treatment. It also highlights some of the issues our walk in clinic providers deal with regularly.

9. Fever is... one of the biggest worries of parents. There are so many real fears but also a lot of exaggerated fear. My attempt to set the record straight.

8. Cut the cord... Give them the World! My thoughts on parenting to allow kids to grow to be independent and productive adults.

7. Parenting when you're angry: Keep Cool We've all been there.

6. Oh, what a (sick) season! This is one of my newest posts. Tips on what to do if your family gets what's going around are still pertinent.

5. Itchy Bottom? Is it Pinworms? What to do? We had a number of pinworm calls from worried parents and I wanted to help our phone nurses out since the treatment options are confusing to parents.

4. Got Milk? Cow, Coconut, Soy, or Almond? Questions on milk alternatives are common for kids with dairy allergy or family preference.

3. Ear Wax: Both Good and Bad Ear wax is another common frustration to parents. When to leave it and when (and how) it should be removed are discussed.

2. Car Seat Confusion and Booster Boo Boos I love that this has been so widely read. It is such an important topic. Please share this one!

1. New Guidelines for Treatment of Strep Throat This surprised me as the most read post. I'm glad people are interested in reading things like this. I hope it decreases the demand for unnecessary antibiotics and educates people about why we do some of what we do in medicine.

One final "bonus" blog update. Pediatric Partners joined Team Mighty Maxwell (March for Babies) in support of Dr. Ratliff's son. Max remains at Children's Mercy. He continues to require help breathing with a ventilator but his doctors are trying to slowly decrease the amount of help he needs. He has had surgeries to help reduce pressure in his eyes and is seeming to be happier overall. For more updates, check out his CaringBridge page.


2 comments:

  1. Dr. Stuppy, thanks for this post. Those are some good posts for me to review. Can you clarify about coats and carseats now that it is cold? I feel like I have heard you aren't supposed to do it. Obviously that's a lot of work for me, but it's worth it if coats under the straps are unsafe. But I feel like people act like I am one of "those" parents for doing it and almost every other kid I see has a coat on under the straps. Is it okay for a winter coat to be on in a five-point harness? Does it matter what age the child is? What about when the child graduates to a booster? Is it okay then? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coats or any other thick clothing that puts distance between the child and the seat or seatbelt are not recommended. Straps cannot be tightened enough with bulky clothing. It makes it easier to always have a similar thickness of clothes because you don't need to readjust straps depending on the weather. Be sure to allow air circulation if you have a cover for infants so they don't overheat. For older kids in boosters, they will be safer and more comfortable without a coat too. A blanket will keep kids warm and allow them to remove it easily if the car warms up so they don't fuss from being overheated. Or they could put their coat on backwards over the belt (where the hood would be over the face if pulled up). Just because a lot of people put coats on in the car doesn't make it safe. Most just don't know the benefits to taking it off. That's why I try to educate!

      Delete