Tuesday, August 8, 2017

Tamiflu status downgraded!

Those of you who follow my blog or are my patients know that I've never been a fan of Tamiflu. I've written To Tamiflu or Not To Tamiflu and I've posted Tamiflu from guest blogger, Dr. Mark Helm. Despite the CDC's recommendation to use Tamiflu frequently, I rarely prescribe it. And when I do, I often find that the whole course isn't completed because the kids don't tolerate it well - usually vomiting, but occasionally they've had scary hallucinations. I haven't seen very much benefit, especially given the cost (and often the difficulty of finding it during peak flu season).



The World Health Organization (WHO) has recently downgraded the status of Tamiflu. The CDC and FDA will have to chime in for the US recommendations, but the WHO is a respected source of medical guidelines and I look forward to a response from the CDC.

As I've said before, Tamiflu doesn't seem to work as well as needed and it has significant side effects. Not all studies done on Tamiflu were published. Only studies showing a little benefit and minimal side effects were considered in making the recommendations to use it. If many studies show no benefit but aren't published, it makes it seem better than it is. Most studies are done in adults, but studies in children for prevention of flu and treatment of flu also fail to show much benefit.

A 2013 review of all the studies done in adults found only a 20.7 hour reduction in symptoms (yes, less than one day). In the elderly and those with chronic diseases (among the highest risk adults) no reduction was found. They also found no evidence of decreasing the risks of pneumonia, hospital admission, or complications requiring an antibiotic. This same review also showed more side effects than commonly reported. Nausea, vomiting, and psychiatric side effects are common.

I hope that the CDC reviews its recommendations for antiviral use before the influenza season hits this year. Until then, plan on getting your family protected with the flu vaccine. It isn't perfect, but it does help keep us from getting sick and it can help save lives!

P.S. I'd love to meet you on Twitter. Stop by and say "hi"!

P.P.S. If you've enjoyed this blog, go to the top of the page and enter your email address so you will get future posts direct to your In Box!

No comments:

Post a Comment